Are you interested in success? Check out six principles that will help you get there.
Success is not hard to achieve if you apply a few simple principles. Here are six principles that will help you achieve success if you begin applying them today:
- 1. Define you reality. If you can become adept at understanding your circumstances and being sensitive to your situation, but at the same time learn to use your skills and influence to create your reality, then you are well on your way. Success follows the person with the good ideas, but honors the person that can take those good ideas and apply them correctly to the situation.
- 2. Manage expectations. Everything that is good or bad in your life can be traced back to a relationship. Relationships are built and lost on expectations. If you can approach each relationship by defining and understanding the expectations then you will save much grief and experience fuller relationships.
- 3. Be different. Leaders are eagles, and eagles don’t flock. Turkey’s flock! I tell my kids to figure out what everyone else is doing and do just the opposite. Become a critical thinker and have a clear vision for your life and a concrete set of principles that you live by daily.
- 4. Be prepared. When I go into a meeting with someone I go by the rule of thumb of spending 10 minutes of prep time for every minute that the meeting is scheduled. People know when you are prepared and they appreciate it. When you are prepared in life, you don’t need luck and life just seems to work out for you.
- 5. Ask good questions. I admit, I struggle with this issue. I tend to be a talker, but I find if I just shut up and ask questions about the person or group I am spending time with, I get so much more out of the interaction. When you learn to ask good questions of a coworker, a boss, a spouse, or a friend, you will begin to discover new ways to serve them and when you become a server, success is not far behind.
- 6. Yesterday ended last night. The “good old days” were not as good as you remember. We spend too much time in the past. Whether we try to relive a good memory, or we can’t shake the pain of a past hurt. Victory lies in what you are planning in the future and the decisions you are making today. Know where you are going and live in the moment.
What are some principles that you believe will help you be successful?